Iroquois Indians in Tercentenary Pageant, Quebec

Categories
Special Collections > Keystone Slides
Type
tiff scanned file from original glass slide
Description
The Iroquois (r´ -kwoi´) Indians early had a league of Five Nations, including the Mohawks, the Oneidas (-n´ då), Onondagas (n´ n-d´ gå), Senecas, and the Cayugas. When the Tuscaroras (ts´ kå-r´ rå) from North Carolina joined them about 1720, the league was called the Six Nations. This was the greatest tribe of Indians in North America. At their councils in the Long House they agreed upon what the various nations should do, settled disputes among themselves, divided hunting grounds, and adopted policies towards the whites. For the most part, the Indians were friendly to the English during the French and Indian wars. They also fought on the side of the English in the Revolutionary War and in the War of 1812. The Iroquois are supposed to have lived formerly along the upper banks of the St. Lawrence River. They moved southward, to what is now the province of Ontario, into New York State, Ohio, and Michigan. Another branch went farther southward into Virginia, Tennessee, and the Carolinas. It is because of their early clashes with the French along the St. Lawrence that they took part in the 300th anniversary of the founding of Quebec. In 1660 an army of 800 Iroquois warriors gathered on the Ottawa River to wipe out the French settlements on the St. Lawrence. A young Frenchman named Dollard, with 16 comrades and 47 friendly Indians, went forth to meet them in battle. The French occupied a palisaded fort. They held out for days against the Iroquois until the last defender was killed. But they had slaughtered so many of the Iroquois that the remainder of the band turned back to their home in despair. Keystone ID: 16061 Note: All titles, descriptions, and location coordinates are from the original Keystone Slide documentation as supplied by the Keystone View Company. No text has been edited or changed.
Rights
Copyright by the Keystone View Company. The original slides are housed in McConnell Library's Special Collections.