Mining Camp in the Mountains of Nevada

Categories
Special Collections > Keystone Slides
Type
tiff scanned file from original glass slide
Description
Throughout the length and breadth of the Rocky Mountains it is not an uncommon sight to see a little mining town such as this one. Here are the houses of the men who work in the mine, one or two general stores, and perhaps a little hotel. It is possible that all the town is owned by the firm that owns the mines nearby. Many of these mining camps are less substantial than the one here shown. It has been the history of all mining sections that "mushroom" cities have sprung up over night with thousands of inhabitants. The next year there may be scarcely any people left, and only the shells of the houses remain. But the camps that are built now are more substantial. Thousands of dollars are invested in the mines and they are worked with the system. The early prospectors and miners merely touched the outcroppings of the veins of gold and silver. It remained for the big mining firms to come along later and tap the mother load. Observe the two roads on different levels. Of what are all the houses built? Nevada is famous for its wealth and minerals. In 1859 the Comstock Load was discovered. This was a deposit of silver and gold. The entire output of gold in the state in 1911 amounted to over $18,000,000 and the silver to over $7,000,000. Copper, zinc, and lead are also mined. This makes Nevada one of the greatest of our mining states. California and Colorado only exceed it in its gold output. It leads all states in silver, and ranks fifth in copper. Nevada was first visited by monks. In 1848 it was included in the territory of the United States, being ceded by Mexico. It became a state in 1864. Reno is its largest city. Keystone ID: 16759 Note: All titles, descriptions, and location coordinates are from the original Keystone Slide documentation as supplied by the Keystone View Company. No text has been edited or changed.
Rights
Copyright by the Keystone View Company. The original slides are housed in McConnell Library's Special Collections.