The resonator of B&D Silver Bell No.1 banjos is held in place by four thumbscrews. The decorative metal band around the resonator has holes machined in and the rim has indentations designed for the thumbscrews. Here we see one of the areas designed to accomodate one of the thumbscrews and the thumbscrew in place. Unlike many other banjo brands, the thumbscrews in B&D Silver Bells go perpendicular to the rim and not parallel. The Bacon Banjo Company was in Groton, Connecticut and was owned and operated by Fred Bacon and David L. Day. The company was started by Fred Bacon in 1906 in Forest Dale, Vermont and later moved to Groton, Connecticut. David L. Day joined the company in 1922. The company was destroyed by a hurricane in 1938 and the business was later sold to Gretsch.