Bacon and Day- Mute

Audio Visual Collections > Banjo Construction Photograph Archive
Banjo Construction Photographic Collection
Musical instruments
Bennett, Bud, 1963-
digital image
Coverage - Temporal
Bacon and Day- Mute5.jpg
Radford University. McConnell Library. Archives & Special Collections.
Many B&D banjos came with a knee mute that could be used to somewhat mute the volume of the banjo. The mute was engaged by pushing a lever which raised a piece of wood to touch the head. The wood had three small pieces of cork attached to it and this reduced the volume of music coming from the instrument. Because of the position of the instrument while being played, the lever was often pushed by the player's leg, thus the name knee mute. This photo shows various parts of the mute. The Bacon Banjo Company was in Groton, Connecticut and was owned and operated by Fred Bacon and David L. Day. The company was started by Fred Bacon in 1906 in Forest Dale, Vermont and later moved to Groton, Connecticut. David L. Day joined the company in 1922. The company was destroyed by a hurricane in 1938 and the business was later sold to Gretsch.
Copyright is held by Radford University. If you would like to use the materials please contact the Archives & Special Collections at The images are available for free personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that proper citation is used (e.g. Banjo Construction Photograph Collection, Appalachian Collection, McConnell Library, Radford University, Radford, VA). Any commercial use or unauthorized reproduction of these photographs, without the written permission of the copyright owner, is strictly prohibited. Please refer to the McConnell Library Archives and Special Collections website for more information.