Bacon and Day- Tailpiece

Audio Visual Collections > Banjo Construction Photograph Archive
Banjo Construction Photographic Collection
Musical instruments
Bennett, Bud, 1963-
digital image
Coverage - Temporal
Bacon and Day- Tailpiece6.JPG
Radford University. McConnell Library. Archives & Special Collections.
Many high end B&D banjos came with Oettinger Tailpieces. These were desireable because the design allowed for different amounts of tension to be exerted on each string. This tailpiece design was an early "in-line" design which kept the strings generally parallel to each other from nut to tailpiece and increased banjo tone. The Oettinger was patented by Mark Oettinger on 5/21/1929. The Bacon Banjo Company was in Groton, Connecticut and was owned and operated by Fred Bacon and David L. Day. The company was started by Fred Bacon in 1906 in Forest Dale, Vermont and later moved to Groton, Connecticut. David L. Day joined the company in 1922. The company was destroyed by a hurricane in 1938 and the business was later sold to Gretsch.
Copyright is held by Radford University. If you would like to use the materials please contact the Archives & Special Collections at The images are available for free personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that proper citation is used (e.g. Banjo Construction Photograph Collection, Appalachian Collection, McConnell Library, Radford University, Radford, VA). Any commercial use or unauthorized reproduction of these photographs, without the written permission of the copyright owner, is strictly prohibited. Please refer to the McConnell Library Archives and Special Collections website for more information.