Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall, Boston, Mass.
- Special Collections > Keystone Slides
- tiff scanned file from original glass slide
- In this view the Quincy Market building is seen to the right. The low building beyond it, directly in the center of the view, is Faneuil Hall. Both these structures are closely connected with the history of Boston. And Faneuil Hall is often spoken of as our "Cradle of Liberty." The Quincy Market is a monument to the genius of Josiah Quincy. He it was who laid the plans that made this city market possible. Work was begun on the building in 1824 and it was finished in 1826. It is two stories high and 535 feet long. The dome in the center is 77 feet high. The total cost of the land, the building, and the street improvements amounted to over $1,000,000. The present Faneuil Hall stands on the ground occupied by old Faneuil Hall, built in 1742. At first it was a market house, given to the city of Boston by Peter Faneuil. The first hall was small as compared with the present one. It was destroyed by fire in 1761. Two years later the second building was completed, and was dedicated by James Otis. During the Revolutionary struggle, Faneuil Hall was the famous meeting place of the New England patriots. Otis, Hancock, and the Adamses often spoke from its platform. Here too, in 1837, Wendell Phillips made his first speech against slavery. The hall at present is used as a general meeting place. Its upper floor houses the armory of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company. This is the oldest military organization in the country. The building contains copies of many famous paintings. Keystone ID: 6180 Note: All titles, descriptions, and location coordinates are from the original Keystone Slide documentation as supplied by the Keystone View Company. No text has been edited or changed.
- Copyright by the Keystone View Company. The original slides are housed in McConnell Library's Special Collections.