Market Scene, Cologne, Germany
- Special Collections > Keystone Slides
- tiff scanned file from original glass slide
- Cologne (k-ln´) is the largest German city on the Rhine, and the chief German port on this river. It has a population of over 500,000. It is a first-class manufacturing center, and one of the strongly fortified cities of the empire. A garrison of about 8,000 men is stationed here all the time. The city gets its name from the Latin word "Colonia", given it by the Romans, because it was a military colony or center, formed by the wife of the Roman emperor, Claudius, in 50 A. D. It soon was made the capital of the Roman province called Lower Germany. During the 13th, 14th, and 15th centuries it was one of the most powerful cities in all Europe. It was a great cloth-weaving center, and carried on heavy trade with neighboring cities and countries, particularly with London. Its commerce of to-day is so important that 5 1/2 miles of wharves have been built along the banks of the Rhine. Across the river there is a bridge of boats. It is made of barges, lying side by side, with boards covering them. Sections of the bridge move out of the way to permit the passage of river boats. The city has important machine shops, and manufactures woolen and cotton goods, carpets, cigars, tobacco, chocolate, candles, soap, and perfumery. The perfumery is named after the city-cologne. The chief single point of interest is the great cathedral. This was begun in 1248, and finished in 1883. It is one of the finest specimens of Gothic building in Europe. It is 570 feet long, 200 feet wide, and the towers are 515 feet high. The market scene here shown is chiefly of interest because of the large number of women. The German women do their own gardening, carry the produce to market, and sell it. For what is Cologne noted? Keystone ID: 2002 Note: All titles, descriptions, and location coordinates are from the original Keystone Slide documentation as supplied by the Keystone View Company. No text has been edited or changed.
- Copyright by the Keystone View Company. The original slides are housed in McConnell Library's Special Collections.