Soldier's Monument and Castle of Chapultepec, City of Mexico
- Special Collections > Keystone Slides
- tiff scanned file from original glass slide
- Over 2 miles southwest of the City of Mexico is a lone hill rising 200 feet above the surrounding plateau. This is Chapultepec (chä-pl´ t-pk´). The Aztecs occupied this hill about the middle of the 13th century, 70 years before they began the building of the City of Mexico. Some historians state that the early chiefs of the Aztecs, the Montezumas (mn t-z´ må), used this hill as their residence. We know, at any rate, that they had a burial ground here. In the stones at the foot of the hill are found many of their carvings. Some of these are likenesses of their kings. The Spanish Viceroys who ruled over Mexico saw the possibilities of the hill. It was a good military stronghold, and a pleasant place for a dwelling. They accordingly fortified it and began the building of a palace on its top. This was completed in 1785. It was the residence of these viceroys until the Spanish power in Mexico was broken. Then the palace became the residence of the presidents of Mexico; and this it is to the present day. During our war with Mexico, General Scott, fought his way from Vera Cruz westward towards the City of Mexico. His last battle was the storming of Chapultepec. The castle and its fortifications were bombarded and captured on September 12-13, 1847. The next day the American forces marched into the City of Mexico. The Military College, the West Point of Mexico, is located at the foot of the hill. During the battle with the United States troops, 40 of the cadets of the college took part in the defense of the castle. The monument you see in the foreground was erected to their memory. Keystone ID: 10910 Note: All titles, descriptions, and location coordinates are from the original Keystone Slide documentation as supplied by the Keystone View Company. No text has been edited or changed.
- Copyright by the Keystone View Company. The original slides are housed in McConnell Library's Special Collections.