Banjos without flanges have what are known as shoes to hold the hooks and nuts. A hook attaches to the stretcher band, goes through the hole in the shoe and the nut is screwed on beneath the shoe, which is bolted to the rim This photo shows the inside of the rim where the shoes are bolted to the rim. This photo also shows a Patent Pending stamp in the rim. The Bacon Banjo Company was in Groton, Connecticut and was owned and operated by Fred Bacon and David L. Day. The company was started by Fred Bacon in 1906 in Forest Dale, Vermont and later moved to Groton, Connecticut. David L. Day joined the company in 1922. The company was destroyed by a hurricane in 1938 and the business was later sold to Gretsch.