The dowel on B&D banjos generally always have the name and location of the company, the model and the serial number stamped on it. Here we see that this banjo is a B&D Silver Bell No.1. Also visible on the dowel in this photo is part of the mute apparatus. The Bacon Banjo Company was in Groton, Connecticut and was owned and operated by Fred Bacon and David L. Day. The company was started by Fred Bacon in 1906 in Forest Dale, Vermont and later moved to Groton, Connecticut. David L. Day joined the company in 1922. The company was destroyed by a hurricane in 1938 and the business was later sold to Gretsch.