San Antonio is in the southern part of Texas and is the largest city in the state. Its population, according to the 1910 census, was 96,614. It is noted for its parks and for its plazas, one of which is here shown. Its leading industries are the manufacture of cotton-seed oil, making flour, brewing, and meatpacking. But the visitor to San Antonio is likely to be as interested in its past as in its present. The city has been under no fewer than 7 flags. You will observe the old adobe (å-d´ b) house at the farther end of the Plaza on the right-hand side. This is what is left of the famous mission, Del Alamo. The word "alamo" is the name of a tree, but the trees have long since gone. The Spanish built this old mission in 1744. This land came into the possession of the United States with the Louisiana Purchase. The United States gave it up to Spain in exchange for Florida. Mexico, including what we now know as Texas and other states, rebelled against Spain and became independent. Then Texas broke away from Mexico and formed an independent republic in 1845. The Mexicans, under General Santa Anna, tried to defeat the Texans. One of the battles took place about this old mission. There were 150 soldiers in San Antonio, under Colonel Travis. The Mexican army consisted of several thousand men. For 11 days the Americans fought against the Mexicans. Then their food and water had all been used, and the 6 remaining soldiers surrendered. They were butchered by the Mexicans. Among these was the famous "Davie" Crockett. Another of the soldiers was Colonel Bowie, after whom the bowie knife is named. The death of these men so stirred the United States that, when we declared war on Mexico, the battle cry was, "Remember the Alamo!" Keystone ID: 16579 Note: All titles, descriptions, and location coordinates are from the original Keystone Slide documentation as supplied by the Keystone View Company. No text has been edited or changed.